Top 10 things to do
1. Drink fresh water during a hike in the Alps, and admire the color of the Dolomites.
2. Try as much regional food as possible: bucatini all’amatriciana (Lazio), spaghetti alla busara (Veneto), canederli (Trentino Alto Adige), bagna cauda (Piemonte), ossobuco (Lombardy), farinata (Liguria), cannoli (Sicily), piadina (Emilia-Romagna), panzerotto (Puglia) and so much more!
3. Visit the Biennale of Art & Architecture in Venice, and take a tour of the islands Murano, Burano and Torcello in the Venitian Lagoon
4. Visit some of the Italian islands, such as Elba (Tuscany), La Maddalena (Sardinia), and Ischia (Campania).
5. Visit one of the many lakes in Italy, from the Garda embraced by the Alps, to Iseo, Reia, Fusine, Trasimeno and Bracciano.
6. Dance at a town festival (‘Sagra’ http://www.sagreinitalia.it/) and explore the town’s popular traditions!
7. Travel to Alberobello, sleep in a ‘trullo’ and buy an artisanal whistle! And why not, enjoy some olives, taralli and burrata!
8. Swim in the crystalline waters of Southern Italy, from the pink sands of Sardinia (BudellI), to the cliffs of Sicily (Scala dei Turchi), the rocky bays of Puglia and the historical beaches of Calabria (Capo Rizzuto).
9. Sit down on a public bench and talk to an elderly person: their stories will make you experience Italy through their eyes! And while you are at it, play a hand of cards or bocce with them!
10. And if you feel like visiting some of the must-see landmarks, take a trip to the Colosseum, get lost in the Ancient Roman Fori, experience the catacombs, climb on the Duomo of Santa Maria del Fiore, see the Madonnina in Milan, snap a photo in Saint Mark Square in Venice, and walk ‘La Via dell’Amore’ the Cinque Terre!